Tuesday, May 13, 2008

This is England





This movie came out in 2006 but it must have slipped past me (or Canada?). It is extremely affective (and HEAVY), about a boy who gets sucked into the skinhead scene in small-town England, 1983. Based on the director, Shane Meadows' personal experiences growing up. Really shows the two sides of the scene - the pacifistic, ska/reggae-loving anarchist kids and the white-supremacist appropriation of this. Historically spot-on (I think), interspersed with some (always relevant) real-life footage of English life and times, 1983. The kid, 13 year old Thomas Turgoose, is incredible, natural and commanding.

Also, a great soundtrack (including a cover of Please, Please, let me get what I want, by Clayhill, which I'd never heard before).

Just wanted to share.

1 comment:

DL said...

looks amazing, I'm gonna look out for it!