Sunday, February 10, 2008

Past the one week mark...

I have now been here for 9 full days. I did end up participating in the Introduction week and while most of the activities were not really my...style...there were a few interesting things, like today we did some mini workshops: model united nations, debating, and film basics (didn't really learn much except where the best video store in Groningen is). It's funny that I chose this town to come to. It's really a student town, and I'm not really the type to appreciate that aspect of it. It's probably like Kingston or London, Ontario, but in Holland. But I do like it, and I'm sure that in time I will discover the finer things it has to offer. I liked the idea of a small town, but just wasn't prepared for all this student madness. I am, however, a great fan of Dutch society. They seem to be a liberal, tolerant people and I have so far only had positive encounters with native Hollanders.

Not much in a writing mood, so this one will be mostly photos:

this guy was just hanging out in the middle of the sidewalk

my bike!

this beer was given to me in a bank...as a refreshment when i opened an account. they wouldn't let me take a picture of the bank but i'm not lying!

this is the main clock tower here, useful for finding your way, and also the biggest one...in holland...or something

the synagogue in Groningen, very old. There are bronze moons and stars in the cobblestone leading up to it.

the Groningen red light district. there are prostitutes here too, i just found out.

a terrible 'Japanese' restaurant where there was a dinner for all the International kids.

this is the biggest bar in Holland, Drie Gezusters, which means Three Sisters. 4 buildings, 3 floors, and revolving bars apparently.

I think this guy might be on a South American soap opera. this girl is from France and is really sweet.

@ the museum


played a few games of pool with this American guy, Greg.

the organ grinder. he's there every market day (Tuesday, Friday, Saturday)

here is a couple of Internationals...from L to R: Julien from France, Mia from Finland, Massimo from Italy

1 comment:

Cody Andrew Hicks said...

Funny, really that your clock tower is supposed to be the biggest in Holland. That's supposedly Utrecht's claim to fame. I think we might have to have a town-off.

How many students in your place? Here it's 280,000 residents and 60,000 are students. It's a real mess, but I've embraced it wholeheartedly despite my usual poo-poo attitude toward mass drunken buffoonery.

The nice factor about this place compared to an American university is the lack of jocks and the higher quotient of sexy eastern European women.

Me-ow.